Self-Build Insurance

If you are about to begin building from the ground up, we have outlined some points to guide you through insurance for your self-build project.

Get a Quote
Renovation Plan can provide insurance for a self-build project under our Premier Plus product as this is our ‘All Risks’ insurance. The policy would normally be based on the contract works only, as there wouldn’t be any existing structure on site.

The insurance can also cater for a property owner looking to do the works themselves for projects such as extensions, a loft conversion, barn conversions or a new build. If you are a builder, or work in the construction industry, you may do the works yourself to save on labour costs. This insurance policy will be able to cover the work you are doing yourself under the Accidental Damage section. There are limitations to this - any basement works, underpinning or piling must be completed by a specialist contractor.

The Premier Plus product can also cover any machinery or Hired in Plant you may have on site. If required, cover can be extended to insure your own hand tools should they be used in connection with your project.

What is a self-build?

A self-build does not necessarily mean you would be building your own property with your bare hands! The term is a little bit broader now. It is now much more common for people to choose to start their own self-build rather than buy a property, whether this be with the help of an architect, project manager or main contractor.

What does Self-Build Insurance offer?

An insurance policy for a self-build project would provide cover for the full cost of the project, materials, fixtures & fittings and Public Liability for the site. This could also extend to cover any tools, machinery or any Hired in Plant you may have on site.

Callback Request
Your Message

By providing the above information you consent to Renovation Plan contacting you by any of the methods that you have provided details for. We will process this information in accordance with our privacy notice.

A: No, we don’t mind if you are living on site. We can cover your caravan or sites huts on the insurance policy.

A: If you appoint a main contractor, they may have insurance for the works, but your contractor’s insurance could be for their liabilities only. This would leave the contract works uninsured and you at risk.

A: Yes, the Premier Plus product meets JCT requirements. We would need further information on which option has been selected as we may need to note the Contractor as a joint insured on the policy. 

Speak to a specialist
01621 784840
Ready to get cover?
Get a Quote