International driving permit
30th January 2019

What is an IDP (International Driving Permit)

With the possibility of a no deal Brexit looming the issue of taking your car abroad and driving in the EU is changing.

The latest is that you may need an IDP or international driving permit in addition to your UK driving License when visiting EU and EEA Countries. An IDP is basically a multi-language translation of your driving license and is recognised worldwide, so if you have travelled outside the EU then you may well have applied for an IDP before.

The IDP will be issued at 2,500 Post Offices and is valid for 12 months and a small charge will apply. Full details can be found at the government website here.

Worried about driving in Europe after the 29th March, contact your usual Motor Account handler or Peter Seaman on 020 7543 2882.