The Association of British Insurers (ABI) issued pledges regarding motor and home insurance at the beginning of lockdown to offer enhanced support to customers who may have been affected by Covid-19. (Read more here)
Although we are in unusual circumstances, and there is enhanced support from ABI, you still need to ensure that you have the right cover for your circumstances.
Here are some tips to making sure you have the right cover in place:
- You could obtain an independent valuation of your car to give you peace of mind that it’s been valued it correctly. You can obtain an independent valuation from dealers, official garages, the HPI website or other valuation sites.
- Do some research on other vehicles with the same specifications, age, mileage etc.
- Contact your insurer who may be able to advise of the official ‘Glass’s Guide’ value.
- Check your policy to ensure what you can use the vehicle for. Those who are supported by the ABI pledges above do not need to notify their insurers but may need to following the October review.
- Check the mileage on your policy. You could be using more (or less) mileage than you first thought.
Change of circumstances
- Your home address and where you store your vehicle overnight can have a significant impact on your motor insurance so you must tell your insurer if this has changed.
- If you have changed occupation it may affect your policy as you may require a different class of use.
- Notify your insurer when changing your vehicle mid-term.
- Notify your insurer of any incidents or convictions at your next renewal
- You may need someone else to drive your vehicle on occasions. If so, contact your insurer to add them to your policy so they have the same level of cover as you when they are driving your vehicle.
Levels of cover
- Always read your policy wording and Insurance Product Information Document (IPID) to ensure you have the correct levels of cover in place that suit you and your circumstances; such as: personal accident, belongings, EU cover etc.
- Check you have any optional covers in place you require, such as Legal Expenses Insurance and Breakdown Cover.
There are various circumstances which could lead to you being underinsured or not having the right cover in place, so review your policy and if you would like any further guidance, contact our expert Motor Team at Aston Lark.
For more information, call 0330 008 4957 or click here.