27 July 2021

Thatched Home Insurance – Electrical Installation Certificates


Most thatched home insurance policies require you to have an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) from the last five years covering the house and any outbuildings nearby.

This must be marked satisfactory by a qualified electrician and it’s usually a requirement that he or she is a member of NICEIC (National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting) or NAPITT (National Association for Professional Inspectors and Testers)

Insurers will want to see a full copy of the report, including the property’s address and EICR number.

An EICR will have the following observation codes:

C1: Danger present and risk of injury with immediate remedial action required.

No insurer will accept a property in this condition.

C2: Potentially dangerous, urgent remedial action required.

Insurers will sometimes accept a report with C2s present or give you a short period of time to have the electrics fixed.

C3: Improvement Recommended.

Most insurers will accept a report with C3s present, but you will need to ask.

For more advice on thatched home insurance or to request a quote call us on 020 7543 2801.

Find out more about our Thatched Home Insurance

Related Articles