Lost Share Certificate Indemnity

Providing help if you require a replacement share certificate

Give us a call
01252 359 092
Request a callback
What happens if you lose a Share/Stock Certificate?

If a Share/Stock Certificate is lost or missing, the body which issued the document (i.e. the Registrar) will issue a duplicate, but they will require that the beneficial owner of the shares/stocks signs a Letter of Indemnity which indemnifies the Registrar for any losses they may sustain as a result of the duplicate certificate being provided.

As the Registrar will know little or nothing about the financial standing of the owner, they will often require that an Insurance Company or Bank ‘join in’ the Indemnity, whereby the Bank or Insurance Company guarantee the obligations undertaken by the person applying for the duplicate.

What a Lost Share/Stock Certificate Indemnity will do

We have access to Insurers who will countersign the indemnity as a Guarantor, which will enable the Registrar to issue a duplicate Certificate.

This is not insurance and, in the event of any losses arising in the future, you will be responsible to the extent of the indemnity given.

Please note: We are only able to provide assistance if your shares are worth over £50,000.

Case Studies


After the death of Mr Smith’s father, the family were unable to find £250,000 worth of share certificates he owned in Diageo Plc.

The loss was reported to the Registrar, who asked for an indemnity before they would issue a new certificate.

Mr Smith Jr. contacted Aston Lark and, following completion of the proposal form and submission of copies of his passport photo page and a utility bill, we arranged for an Insurer to countersign the indemnity form at a cost of £3,000.


A company in Canada had a complicated structure and needed to have shareholdings re-registered, but the original certificates could not be found.

As the shares were valued at over £800,000, the process was lengthy but Aston Lark was able to negotiate with the Insurers and provide a countersigned indemnity for a premium of just over £10,000.

Frequently Asked Questions

What should I do if I have lost a share certificate?

The loss of the certificate should be reported to the Registrar so that they can put a stop on any share dealings.  The Registrar will usually provide you with an indemnity form (for a small charge), which they will require to be countersigned by an Insurer.

Can I get an indemnity for any share certificate?

As long as the shares are quoted on the UK stock exchange. However, if this is not the case, please give us a call as we may still be able to help.

Does the applicant have to be a UK resident?

Not necessarily, we have been able to assist foreign nationals and companies too.

What information will I need to provide to the Insurer?

Insurers will require completion of a proposal form, with details of the name and address of the shareholder, the value of the holding and the circumstances of the loss.  Photographic proof of identity in the form of driving licence or passport and proof of residency will also be needed, and a copy of the last dividend statement, if any.  For larger shareholdings, a reference from a solicitor or other professional may be needed.

What if I am acting for the Estate of a deceased person or on behalf of a Company?

In the case of an Estate, Insurers will require a copy of the Grant of Probate and identification and residency proofs from the Executors.  For a Company, Insurers will require proof that the signatories to the indemnity have the appropriate authority.

How much will an Indemnity cost?

Charges differ depending on the value of the missing certificates and the complexity of the situation.  For a simple indemnity, premiums start at £250 plus Insurance Premium Tax.

How long will it take to obtain an Indemnity?

Usually 10-14 days, however, Insurers may require additional information or to contact the Registrar for confirmation, so a complex case may take longer.

How do I know that my documents are secure?

We recommend that you post any documents to us by recorded delivery, and we will ensure that all documents sent to Insurers and then passed back to you are sent in a similar manner.  The only original documents that are required are the signed proposal and indemnity forms, photocopies are acceptable for proofs of identity, etc.

If you have lost your share certificates, then Aston Lark’s experienced team are on hand to help you.

Have you lost your share certificate? If so, Aston Lark can help

In our brochure we outline the process of what to do if a share certificate is lost, what the share registrar will require to be put in place and how Aston Lark can facilitate this for you.